- He attended both Strata, a Data Science (DS) event, and Enzee, a Business Intelligence (BI) event, and noted just how young all the DS kids are, and how old all the BI adults are.
- The DS kids come out of university armed with open source tools, the BI graybeards are all settled on enterprise tools.
- He predicts that DS will merge with BI, largely as BI analytic data structures are unified under the BI banner and come to dominate organizations.
- BI defines itself by tools whereas DS defines itself by methods and ends.
- Many DS'ers will find some of their peers co-opted by tools, as it's far easier to be religious about the merits of a tool over another one than it is to exert any sort of real leadership or independent thought.
- DS stands a chance of not becoming co-opted by tools because they're aware of what happened to BI and Web Analytics in previous generations - the real test will come.
I'm Christopher Berry.
I tweet about analytics @cjpberry
I write at christopherberry.ca